Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Annie's Show Survival Guide- Day 1

   The giant whiz of showsheened brown fur flies in front of me. Huge, shiny, braided to perfection, surrounding me. Greys, and bays, and the odd paint fill the musty space. The angry trainers stalk the small arena with vengeance, waiting to make their first kill. Your horse's once cleanly scrubbed and glistening white socks are painted with the blood and tears of those before you.

  Hello my friends, and welcome to show season.

  We've trained all winter to face this challenge, and now all of the work will eaither pay off, or, well, we'd rather not talk about those that fail. Don't show fear, they can smell it.

   Over the next three days, I, Annie Maulucci, will tell you what it takes to survive the first show of the season. When everyone is ready to win and out for blood, only the best will make it through.

  And may the odds be ever in your favour.

  Some people make survival kits to survive the wilderness or the apocalypse, but I am preparing for something much, much scarier. Today, I will show you what I keep in my horse showing survival kit.

 You need a bag that is small and unassuming, they can't know that you're actually carrying the greatest arsenal to combat failure in HJ history.
 
 Now onto what you need inside of it. First thing is some pain medication. I choose Aleve because it is strong enough to remove feeling from the lower half of my body's joints. The less you feel your ankles the further down your heels will be.
  Next is hair nets. You don't want to accept your champion ribbon without picture perfect hair do you? 
  And of course, you'll need hair ties to keep your silky locks out of your face. No hiding the fear behind your hair! 
  If you're a jumper, you'll need safety pins. You're such a legend you stick pointy things into your saddle pad to ward off you're competition!
   Always bring horse shavers, just in case you missed a whisker. Don't be that one kid who rides in with your horse looking like santa claus' evil cousin.
   And last, but certainly not least, you'll need your checklist to ensure everything will run absoloutely as planned. 
 I hope you enjoyed my overimagitiveness (Is that even a word?) In all seriousness, horse showing is only as stressful as you make it. Just smile and be grateful and don't forget to have fun! With Littles' and I's first show of the season, I thought I would start a little 3 day series of blog posts leading up to it. Anyways, thank you all for reading and don't forget to hug your horses! 
 Annie and Sassy queen pony

No comments:

Post a Comment