Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Bitless Bridles

Hi everyone!!!
 So today I got to try a bitless bridle on Littles. I tried the nurtural bitless bridle, and this is my opinion on it.
***DISCLAIMER***
THIS IS NOT BASHING BITLESS OR BITTER BRIDLES. THIS IS SIMPLY HOW I FELT
 BITLESS WORKED ON MY HORSE.
Okay, so now that we've gotten that out of the way. This is how the ride went.
So my first impressions were that the bridle is absolutely beautiful. It has the cutout on the crown piece so it would not pinch her ears, and is a lovely color.  I really like the look of it. I'll post a picture below so you can see how it looks

 The system in which it works is quiet simple. The reins attach to two rings hanging down which are attached to the noseband.  For more information check out the website.
  The bridle seems to fit relatively true to size. I was using a cob size on my large pony, and it fit pretty nicely. It is very adjustable, so quite hard to go wrong with sizing. So that's my basic review of the bridle, nice quality, true to size, overall a nice product.
  The ride was pretty much like any ride. I can't say I saw a huge difference. Littles, who can be quite a hot horse, was still able to stop, turn, and slow down just fine. For basic riding it went pretty well. She did get heavy on it after the canter, which was a problem for me. I think due to the lack of support, she ended up on the forehand and on my reins a lot. Bending was a lot harder for her, due to the lack of intricate rein aids. There wasn't much of a difference in her attitude. She wasn't more relaxed without a bit than she is with one. 
  So that is pretty much how my ride went. I don't mind the bridle, but I'm definitely not convinced on it. I don't totally hate it, but you won't see me going out to buy one any time soon. My pony wasn't any more relaxed or happy in the bitless bridle, and I much prefer the subtle aids you can give with a bit. I need much less contact with a regular snaffle than no snaffle, and when you are jumping or doing anything really, I'd rather have my pony off her forehand. 
  So that is my take on the bitless bridle and how it worked for Littles and I. Thanks a ton for reading, and go hug your horse!!
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment